What is simethicone?
Simethicone is available in over-the-counter (OTC) medicines that help relieve pressure and bloating, commonly referred to as gas. Simethicone can be the only ingredient in anti-gas medicines or it can be found in medicines that treat symptoms such as heartburn or diarrhea.
What is simethicone used to treat?
- Abdominal gas
Common brands containing simethicone:
- Little Tummys
- Store Brands (ex. Walmart’s “Equate” store brand or CVS Health store brand)
Safety guide for simethicone
Simethicone is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and is safe and effective when used according to label directions. You should never take more medicine or for a longer period of time than what the label says.
Ask a Healthcare Provider Before Use If:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Do Not Use If:
- You are allergic to simethicone.
Stop Use and Ask a Doctor If:
- Your gas symptoms continue for a prolonged period of time.
- You take too much. Immediately contact a healthcare provider or the poison control national helpline at 800.222.1222.
What are the side effects of simethicone?
- Although rare, seek medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.