What is triclosan?
Triclosan is an antibacterial and antifungal agent available in over-the-counter (OTC) medicines that aid in the prevention of oral gingivitis and plaque. Triclosan can also be found in products that help prevent tooth decay and cavities.
What is triclosan used to treat?
- Oral gingivitis
Products containing triclosan:
How much triclosan can you take?
If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
Safety guide for triclosan
Because toothpastes and gels containing triclosan help protect the mouth from bacteria that cause gingivitis and plaque, these products are considered to be medicines by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Triclosan is approved by FDA and is safe and effective when used according to the Drug Facts label directions.
Safe use tips:
- Adults and children 6 and older should brush their teeth with an anti-gingivitis and anti-plaque paste or gel at least twice a day, or as directed by a dentist or healthcare provider.
- You should avoid swallowing anti-gingivitis and anti-plaque products.
- In addition to brushing your teeth regularly, you should also see a dentist for routine check-ups.
- Children under the age of 12 should be supervised in order to develop good brushing and rinsing habits and to minimize product swallowing.
- Do not use in children under the age of 2 unless you talk to a dentist or doctor.
Ask a healthcare provider before use if:
- You have gum bleeding or redness that lasts for more than two weeks.
- You have pain, swelling, pus, loose teeth, or increased spacing between teeth.
Do not use if:
- Do not use an anti-gingivitis and anti-plaque product containing triclosan on a child under the age of 6, unless a healthcare provider or dentist tells you to.
Stop use and ask a doctor if:
- If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.